Friday, September 1, 2017

Eid Mubarak! Happy Tabaski!



This week, Muslims across the world celebrated Eid-al-Adha, the festival of the sacrifice. Eid-al-Adha honors the Prophet Ibrahim’s unyielding faith, as demonstrated by his willingness to sacrifice his son for God. God then spared Ibraham’s son and slaughtered a sheep in his place. In honor of Ibraham, many Muslims sacrifice a sheep or goat for this holiday and distribute its meat to the poor. Eid-al-Adha is known by many names, such as Tabaski in West Africa.



Tulane students studying abroad in the Muslim world have had a unique opportunity to celebrate this holiday with locals in their host countries. Here are some of their stories:



“My Tabaski experience was definitely a highlight of my time abroad. In addition to being an amazing opportunity to learn about a different culture and religion, Tabaski also allowed me to achieve local celebrity. A few days before the holiday, I received a call from a man excitedly speaking in rapid-fire Wolof. Confused, I handed my phone to my host brother. He translated for me and informed me that I had won a goat in a raffle (I later realized I had unknowingly entered this raffle by purchasing a new phone). My entire host family went to the HLM Market in Dakar to pick up my goat, and I was henceforth known in my neighborhood as the Toubab (white person) who won the goat.” – Amanda Verdi, Senegal, Fall 2016



“Eid-al-Adha was easily the best part of my time in Ghana. I spent it in the 100% Muslim community of Larabanga in Northern Ghana, where complete strangers invited my friends and me to celebrate with them. We performed the traditional goat sacrifice, followed by a feast – it was incredible” – Rachel Robertson, Ghana, Fall 2016


The Tulane Office of Study Abroad program list includes many options across the Muslim world! Check out our website for more information or attend the Study Abroad Fair on October 18th from 2-5 to talk to students who have attended programs around the world. 



What holidays have you celebrated while abroad? Share your photos and stories with us – you may be featured in a future blog post!